Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My14 month old cat had a fit yesterday, she has been in good

my14 month old cat had a fit yesterday, she has been in good health and is her usual lively self today.What could cause this and will it happen again?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Does Lily have any know heart issues or health issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think she would eat anything unusual her gums are pink and there is no heart problems. The weather was very hot here yesterday could that have something to her fit?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

With her being young, I'd not assume she wouldn't eat anything odd. Cats do have more sense then dogs, but I have had a number eat non-edible items (ie strings, needles, etc) and also those that have made themselves unwell eating plants, medications, and even licking cleaners. So, we do need to be vigilant about what Lily has access to. Especially since weather, even with how warm it has been as of late, rarely causes these kinds of signs in our part of the world.

Now further to toxins causing a fit, we can see young cats have seizures for a range of reasons. Common ones at her age would be head trauma, brain based infections (ie protozoal like Toxoplasma, bacteria, and some viruses), space occupying lesions (while tumors are rare at her age, we can see cysts and swellings), and also secondary to systemic issues (ie liver or kidney disease, heart troubles, etc). We can also see epilepsy in cats, but it is much less common then the numbers we see in dogs. So, these would be our concerns at this stage. And while it is possible that this was a one-off, we cannot predict if another may follow.

Therefore, while it is not an emergency with her being normal just now, you can choose to monitor. Though if we see any odd signs or any further fits (especially in the next few days but generally in the next 6 months), then we'd need her seen. Her vet can carry out a full examination, a neurological exam as well, and also check bloods. Covering those bases will let them start ruling out a lot of out concerns and based on their findings, advise you on which of these is present and what treatments are needed to settle this for her.

So, at the moment, you can monitor her or if she is due a booster soon, you can have her vet start looking into these differentials to ensure we nip this in the bud for Lily.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )