Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 2 week old budgie it's crop is very large is there

I have a 2 week old budgie it's crop is very large is there anything wrong? Thanks Jane.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Jane, I'm hopeful that this fledgling is just a glutton. I can't think of anything else that enlarges the crop of a 2 week old. We do see certain crop disorders at its age, however. Candidiasis is most common and predisposed in birds immunocompromised by age, prolonged antibiotic use, concurrent immunosuppressive conditions (e.g., debilitation, psittacine beak and feather disease, malnutrition), poor hygiene in the bird's environment and food preparation; failure to cean excess formula from the skin or mouth of hand-reared chicks; highs concentrations of sugar in fruit and hand-rearing formula providing an optimal medium for the growth of yeast; and alkaline crop contents seen when crop stasis (paralysis) occurs for other reasons, encouraging yeast overgrowth. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a second bird at the same age, this one is bigger with a normal crop, this why i wonder if there is something wrong.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to say the hen is feeding them.

Thank you for the additional information. Do you detect a "sour"/unpleasant odor coming from its crop?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

Good. Let's simply "watchful wait" and see what, if anything, develops. There's a good chance that what you're seeing is within normal limits. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay thanks very much. Regards Jane.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.