Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My bugie has lots of bits falling from her feathers when she

Customer Question

my bugie has lots of bits falling from her feathers when she shakes ,i am talking about possible 50 to 100 minute bits, she picks at her body seems to be scratching every where
but does not cut her self also seems to be malting for ever and she shakes her feathers too often
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear how uncomfortable your budgie is. You've described a difficult molt and the bits of the keratin (a structural protein) sheath falling away from new (pin) feathers. That sheath needs to be removed for new feathers to fully emerge. In most cases this type of molt indicates a nutrional deficiency - most often in protein and calcium. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has her diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

I understand that she's being stubborn about eating more than seeds. Her life depends upon doing so, however. Here's a one manner in which transitioning her to pellets might be accomplished: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have not had a reply yet am i going to get one tonight

Look above your last post for my reply. If you can't see it, let me know and I'll repost it for you.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish. Did you find my reply time stamped 3:00 (my time)?