How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 21416
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

We bought a new shih tzu puppy on the 9th September and it

Resolved Question:

Hi we bought a new shih tzu puppy on the 9th September and it was born on the 4th July 2016. The breeder had already had the puppy vet checked and vaccinated on the 7th September with its first injection of nobivac DHP and nobivac L4, I took our puppy to my local vets when I got her to have a check and get her registered and was told I could book her in today 21st September for her second vaccine and although they use a different type it would work the same and we would be able to walk her safely after a 10 days, which I was pleased about because I have heard it's important for them to socialise early but today I took her back for the second vaccine and they gave her Canigen DHP and Canigen Lepto 2 and after giving her the vaccine the vet informed me that it was only her first vaccine and he's sorry but she won't be protected until a further vacinne in 2 weeks and then another 2 weeks kept indoors, I explained I saw his college a week earlier and he'd told me the vaccines worked together and it would mean taking on walks wouldn't be delayed. I am now confused how 2 vets at the same practise can tell me different things, will my puppy not be protected fully now for another 4 weeks
Kind regards
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now generally speaking, we don't mix our vaccine brands. This is because different vaccine companies make their vaccines with different viral strains and using two different ones could lead to a failure in developing long term immunity. That said, Nobivac and Canigen are compatible. This is something that came to light when there was a Nobivac vaccine shortage a few years ago (which the second vet may not be aware of). Therefore, you can have this second vet ring the companies to confirm this but it should be fine with these 2 brands (no others though).

Furthermore, in any case, since socialization is key at a young age, I'd note that we do allow pups to socialize even after the first vaccine with dogs that you know are healthy and up to date on their vaccines. So, even if we aren't taking Millie into public spaces with potentially unvaccinated dogs, she could certainly be taken to your friends or family member's houses if they have a dog that meet those low risk criteria (or they could come to her). Finally, do see if your vet or a local vet offer puppy parties. These are usually run by the practice's vet nurses and allow pups to interact safely with other pups that have just had their first vaccine. Again its a low risk situation that allows you to get her socialized in any case.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your help, so I am guessing the vacinne Millie has have today is definately classed as her first vacinne and not her second?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

No, as I noted before these two brands are an exception and are compatible. So, it would be her second vaccination. If it had been any other brands, then she'd have to restart the course, but these 2 are considered compatible.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you