Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our 21 month old poodle (3/4) cocker (1/4) mix hurt his paw

Customer Question

Our 21 month old poodle (3/4) cocker (1/4) mix hurt his paw on Fri by jumping off the bed and landing awkwardly. He was limping quite badly Fri day/night but seemed to have improved loads by Saturday and his limp is now almost undetectable, however, he is constantly licking that paw. We didn't walk him at all Sat and shirt walks on lead only since. Do we need to get him seen? If not what is advice re walking?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if your lad is licking his paw after a recent injury, this is usually a sign of discomfort. So, while its great that his gait has improved, we do need to tread with care. In regards ***** ***** so, you can continue to rest him --lead walks should only be to the garden to do his business along with preventing any stair use or jumping on/off furniture -- but we will need to also prevent his access to the foot (to avoid this licking becoming a habit or risk a secondary skin infection). Therefore, you may need to cover the foot with a sock +/- warm compress it since it is sore. If you do this over the next 24-48 hours and he isn't settled, then we'd want to plan to have him checked to make sure there are no hairline fractures but also to have his vet cover him with dog safe pain relief to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )