Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I am looking after a minature pincher who has poorly paw

I am looking after a minature pincher who has poorly paw what can I do
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it 1 paw or all 4?

2- Can you describe what you are seeing in her paw?

3- Is she licking the paw?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's one paw her front left paw no she don't lick it she just can't put any weight on it she don't have any other problems
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't see anything in her paw

1- Are you seeing any swelling?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Did she suffer an accident?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her paw is not swollen she jumps of our furniture like armchair and sofa she has been like it for nearly a week we thought it might be down to her claws as they were long she has since had them cut and still having trouble with it no previous medical problems

1- So the entire week she is not putting weight on the limb, correct?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not much at all no previous medical problems

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Terry, I am sorry Daisy is lame. In response to your question, in any case of a non-weight bearing lameness, we need to rule out a fracture, a pinched nerve, disorders affecting the joint or a soft tissue injury. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I know you came to this site with the hope of finding a way to help Daisy. But, treatment for Daisy will depend on the underlying cause. For example, if she has a fracture she will need to have the leg on a splint for the fracture to heal. In order to rule in a bone fracture, she will need to have x-rays as an initial screening test.

Do not give over the counter pain medication, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medication the attending veterinarian will need to use. I would strongly recommend having Daisy seen by your family veterinarian for an orthopedic examination and x-rays. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help and advise we are very grateful

You're welcome Terry.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.