Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a two-year-old free range Maran hen, droopy and not

i have a two-year-old free range Maran hen, droopy and not eating, comb droopy and dark, abdomen very enlarged but soft, droppings slight and liquid. She has had a few pieces of lettuce and a little water in the last 2 days. Until then, she was normally active, eating and I think laying. Should I polish her off or is there a remedy?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I must say that I am quite concerned about your lass.

First, I'd note that her changes in droppings are likely due to the abdominal space occupying lesion here compressing her gut. So, that is a side effect of a bigger issue. In regards ***** ***** bigger issue, we'd be worried about circulatory compromising conditions causing severe fluid build up like heart failure, liver disease, infection, egg peritonitis. As well, these signs can be present with tumors or organ enlargement (ie secondary to liver disease). In this case, her prognosis is guarded and if you were to treat then we'd want her vet to ultrasound +/- sample any fluid in that belly. Depending on their findings from those, we'd be able to pinpoint which is present but as I am sure you can appreciate most are terminal for hens and those that are treatment (the infections) tend to need intensive treatment to help them recover. Therefore, you may need to think about humanely letting her go at this stage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )