Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog has just been attacked by another dog. He's bleeding

Customer Question

My dog has just been attacked by another dog. He's bleeding around the muzzle. Do I need to take him to the vets?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A Staf attacked my dog, grabbing him by the muzzle. He was bleeding, though it seems to have stopped.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should I take him to the vets?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know if there is anywhere open at the moment.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Of course, most answers would say that you should take your poor Pancho to your vet for an exam but if the wounds appear superficial, you can attempt to clean them your self with peroxide and then apply Neosporin or some form of antibiotic ointment. We do not usually suture these types of wounds because it could keep the bacteria inside so we would clean the wounds and place him on antibiotics. Try this for a few days cleaning every 12 hrs and then giving him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease inflammation ONLY if sweet Pancho will eat prior to giving the aspirin.

If there is swelling or Pancho starts acting lethargic and will nto eat, then take him to your vet for an exam since this may mean that this has become infected and may require veterinary attention. You do have a day or 2 to determine this unless the wounds appear more than superficial.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. I'll do that.

Good for you! I really hope that sweet Pancho feels better soon!! Poor guy!!