Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

When a dog gets bloat and has pexi-attachments can they

Customer Question

When a dog gets bloat and has pexi-attachments can they break?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the "attachments" (which is actually the stomach wall and chest wall being stitched together so with time they adhere naturally) don't usually break down. In one study, it would hypothesized that less then 5% would do so. Instead, if we have a complication with the pexy, it is often that it wasn't quite as well positioned as one would hope and thus leading to the bloated stomach being able to partially move and potential twist to a minor degree. So, that is more common and in those cases a second pexy may be needed to immobilize the stomach from being able to twist.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )