Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

One of my dogs has lymphoma and currently having

Good morning. One of my dogs has lymphoma and currently having chemotherapy which is now fortnightly. I'm looking for a supplement which will help his tummy upsets and total digestive health. I'm looking at one called Yu Digest by Lintbells and another by Troo Healthcare, could you advise looking at the ingredients which would be most beneficial?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, I would lean to the YuDigest, since it does tend to be quite a good product for supporting out dog’s guts and one that I often use with my patients. Though I’d just not that if his upsets involve nausea, do make sure your vet does have him on an anti-nausea treatment (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide) +/- an antacid (ie Zantac) if he is also on steroids as the chemo dose does tend to be quite abrasive on the stomach.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice, its very helpful. He is responding to the chemo very well and doesnt appear to have any sickness, its more runny poos now and again, not always from the treatment. We have put him on a low carb high protein diet involving mainly boiled chicken and good kibble hes often ok and then just turns runny. Just after something to support him, i didnt know they could have zantac??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Ah, in that case the Yudigest should be of benefit. As well, you may want to also increase his dietary fiber to help him with stool consistency. Often we can use protexin fibre supplements which his vet should carry or we can add other fiber options like canned or boiled pumpkin, weetabix, or even add 0.25 TSP benefibre to canned food. And just to note Zantac is something we often do use in dogs when they've nausea. So you keep it on hand if need be.
Best wishes,
Dr. B