Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My yorkshire terrier keeps trying to clear his throat I have

my yorkshire terrier keeps trying to clear his throat I have examined his mouth and there isn't any sign of infection and he is in good health and eating very well have you any ideas what is causing it ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on Toby's signs, we do have a few concerns. Throat clearing often isn't caused by issues in the mouth and instead raises concerns of a possible tracheitis, esophagitis (if he ate something that has irritated his throat or has acid reflux), or a possible exposure to kennel cough. Since you noted no coughing, breathing changes, or sneezing, we'd be less worried about lung and heart issues at this point.

With this in mind and since his signs are mild, we can try some supportive care to soothe his throat at this stage. If this has just been an irritation to his esophagus or if his immune system has any viral or bacterial agent well in hand; then this may be all we need to do.

In regards ***** ***** care, we will want to put him on a soft diet for the next few days to avoid any further irritation. As well, you can sooth his throat by giving him a tablespoon of honey+glycerin cough syrup or even plain honey. Alternatively use Robitussin DM but you must take care not to use one with cold medication added to it. It will take some label reading, but do avoid any syrups with cold medications in (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen or any human cold medications since many are toxic for dogs), you just want one to lubricate and soothe the throat. When using Robitussin DM, we tend to give 1 milligram per pound of their body weight every 8 hours.

Overall, throat clearing wouldn't be expected to cause oral changes, so it is not surprising that you have seen no changes in the mouth. Still as long as he is otherwise without those additional signs I noted, the above would be our main concerns here. Therefore, I would just advise to try and reduce the irritation just now. Though if this persists despite our supportive care, we’d want to consider a check up with your vet to confirm our suspicions and potentially have them dispense an antibiotic +/- dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) to help him clear this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )