Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 12 year old TIBETIAN TERRIER. She is 12 years old

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old TIBETIAN TERRIER. She is 12 years old and starting loose a lot of her fur. What tablets should I give her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Are you seeing any bald spots with this hair loss?

Any itching or scratching?

Any changes to her skin (ie dander, pustules, pimples, etc)?

When was she last treated for fleas and what did you use?

Any diet change in the past 6 weeks since this started?

Any weight loss, appetite loss, or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No bald patches but lose of hair
Sometimes itching and scathing but not a lot
Tender around nipples
Treated for fleas just over 4 weeks ago. Vetflea
No change in diet
Weight loss a little appetite loss and diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

First, I have to note that if she has tender skin and is itching, we need to address that since that can contribute to hair breakage and hair loss. And I have to say that your flea treatment is not ideal since we are seeing a lot of flea resistance to its active ingredient (Fipronil). So, it would be ideal to change to a more recent product (ie Advocate, Activyl, Advantage II, Bravecto, etc).

Further to this, if Jessiejoy is itching, we'd want to not just address fleas but tackle the allergic irritation their saliva causes the skin. To do so, we often will trial dogs on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** general coat/skin health, your supplement can only do so much. Therefore, I would suggest also adding essential fatty acids (EFAs) to her diet. The reason EFAs are so important is because they are the fats that are part of skin cells composition and play a role in their health and coat growth. And when lacking, we often see the signs you have reported. To supplement this, I'd note that you can add 1.5-2.5 ml fish oil (OTC Omega 3 +6) per 4kg of her body weight to her diet. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can feed a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. If she or you aren't keen on fish, then there are alternatives like Viacutin or Yumega (all are available OTC online, at vets, and most pet stores) that can help restore coat health and decrease her loosing hair as she is.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )