Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I wonder if you can help, my puppy "ruby" broke her leg last

Hi I wonder if you can help, my puppy "ruby" broke her leg last week and had surgery to repair it. The vet put a pin into the fractured tibia which went well but today I took her for her first check up and took some photos of the x-rays, when I got home I was looking at them and I've noticed that the fibula is also broken. I would like to know if that should of been repaired as well? I'm very worried. Thanks John
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I understand your concern, John, but the fibula isn't weight bearing and so only in the rarest of instances (badly displaced fragments that might injure surrounding tissue, e.g.) is it addressed surgically. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you doctor that is very reassuring. Here is a photo of the x-ray

Thank you, John. A callus will form to bridge the fibula. My best wishes for quick healing for Ruby! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you for your professional opinion. It very much appreciated

You're quite welcome.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.