Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We have a baby squirrel that ran to us for help. It's fully

We have a baby squirrel that ran to us for help. It's fully furred but quite small, perhaps 8 weeks old? We have made a nest for it in a wooden jumper insulated in a box, in one of our sheds, and keep it warm with a hot water bottle each night. It can lap/suck but not yet bite so we're feeding it on but milk and soft food like mashed banana Apple purée etc. We're trying not to encourage it to go out and search too. What should we feed it on to help it on its way and how long to keep giving food so that it learns to fend for itself?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now to start, if we do want this little one to return to the wild life he was intended for, it would be ideal to turn him over to the local rehabilitation center. Your local vet should be able to put you in touch with them and they will have the permits required and experience/facilities needed to help wean (when he is ready) and transition him to fending for him himself. This often does take time and they do tend to require weeks to months of being "softly released" into an enclosure that mimics their natural environment. So, a facility that can provide that would be the best for him.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** we do this in stages based on his abilities not his age. From your description, he does sound to be in formula feeding phase. Often this will consist of 35% banana and apple bits and small amount of berries, 35% plain cheerios (moistened with water), 30% rodent pellets. Once he can handle some food on his own, then these can be offered as is at a volume of 0.25 cups twice to three times daily. Once fully weaned, we can modify this to 25% Fruit and veggie chunks (no greens), 40% rodent pellets or rat blocks, 10% cheerios (moistened with water), 5% sunflower seeds, 20% dry dog food (crushed). And that should be given as a ½ cup daily.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )