Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dod is breathing really fast and loud for about few days

My dod is breathing really fast and loud for about few days now. Is also not eating anymore. I called my regular vet to book an appointment but nothing available for the moment. Im really worried i dont know the cause . There are any call out services ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I have to say that I am quite shocked to hear that your vet hasn't told you to come right down. If Cora is struggling to breathe to the point she cannot even eat, then we have an emergency situation. Therefore, I'd suggest ringing them back and they should be able to have you down now to at least put her on oxygen to keep her stable until her vet can look at her. Otherwise, its not appropriate to have a call out to your house, since it sounds like she needs to be hospitalized for at least oxygen. Therefore, if they aren't amenable to see her in this serious state, you may need to ring other vets in the area to see her now. You can find them via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or you could get her over to ***** (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) if you have one local since they are open all nights/weekends.

Overall, respiratory distress is an emergency. Therefore, her practice has a duty of care to see her and at least get her stable at this point. So, do ring them again right away and consider going down to sit/wait until she can be seen (their nurse can put her onto oxygen until the vet is free). Otherwise, the above alternatives need to be considered.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks ill do. I didnt realise is qn emergency as she had problem breathing before but didnt last so i thougt us becayse she was tired or feel hot. Now is too bad, i coulnt sleep last night as her breathing was so fast and too loud.
Thanks for your help, ill call the practice back and if not ill call somewhere else. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

With how long it is lasting and if it is that fast, then we do need her seen as this could be related to lung issues, heart disease, or even problems with her blood (ie anemia). So, that would be safest to ensure we dont' leave her suffering and don't risk her collapsing over the weekend.

Please take care & best wishes for Cora,

Dr. B.