Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

This morning, during belly rubs, i noticed my 17 month old

This morning, during belly rubs, i noticed my 17 month old sproker had what felt like something crusty on his chest. Upon closer inspection there was what looked like a giant clack head (approx the size of half a pea) I squeezed a little (I know I shouldn't have) and it started to come out.....under the head was some beige thick substance (very smelly) I removed it and cleaned the area. It doesn't seam to bother him but I'm wondering if I should take him to my vet just to get it checked out. There's still a hole in his skin and when I feel it it still feels as though there's a little lump.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on your description of this lesion and the discharge, I would be highly suspicious that you have found a micro-abscess. These arise when bacteria are able to infiltrate the skin (ie micro-trauma, secondary to dogs scratching or foreign body material getting caught within the skin, etc).

Now the dilemma here is that if even one bacteria is left in that hole when the skin heals or if there is something caught (which is suspect if you feel a lump), then we could just see this recur and keep coming back. Therefore, especially with that little lump, we'd be best to have your vet check this and remove any foreign material. As well, they can dispense topical or oral antibiotics to prevent further infection and help get it healed.

Finally, any delay in having Dexter seen and we can start supportive care. To do so, you can cleanse this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and do prevent him from licking this (since that will introduce more bacteria) .To prevent him from doing so an e-collar can be used or if its on the front half of his chest, a tshirt can help keep this covered for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )