Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has had surgery to remove a large mam tumour. She

Hi my dog has had surgery to remove a large mam Mary tumour. She also has a wart just underneath her Eye that I asked to be removed. However they have also made an incision in her cheek because they said there was a lump. Her cheek area has become very enlarged not puffy swollen quite a solid lump underneath the incision. No sign of it reducing. I have no idea what they suspected. No sign of infection from the small incision
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Is the lump firm or fluidy? Painful to the touch?

Is she on any medications?

How long ago was the surgery?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

HI I am concerned that this part of surgery was a red herring and has caused more harm than good. Ever since she was a pup she occasion get straw like swellings down her cheeks that would look at little lumpy, but they would go down as quickly as they appeared. It is not fluidy. It has grown since surgery on 27th last week. It now feels and looks like solid lump that one would consider surgery on to remove !!!

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I share your concern, which is why I was keen to see what the cheek currently looks like. In any case, if this isn't settling, then you may need the local vet to reassess this site even if the incision looks fine. Post-operative checks are usually included in the cost of the surgery. We may need them to aspirate the swelling to see what is present. If pus is removed, it may need to be cultured to ID what bacteria has gotten into the tissue sand antibiotics started. Otherwise, anti-inflammatories should be dispensed for her. And if this persists, then a biopsy may be needed to determine what they thought was there and what may be there now. So, I do share your concerns on this worsening but we'd need to take the above approach to address common post operative complications and get this settled for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I though I had manged to attach an image. Pretty useless understanding technology. I shall try and get assistance
Quanda came home after surgery with Inflacam Oral Suspension to be given once a day. She was seen again on Friday
to have drains removed from the large mammory tumour. I did point out her cheeck but it was not the vet that had done her
Surgery. She agreed the facial lump was rather re-active. An antibiotic injection was given to her.She is due to be seen again On the 7th for her stitches to be removed from both face and original Concerning Mass.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

No worries,

Though it appears you have posted a photo of two children instead of your dog. :)

In any case, if that swelling isn't settling with those 2 treatments, then do make sure to see her vet specifically either on the 7th or have them see her sooner so we can get them to assess this and potentially sample it if its not settling with those.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.