Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My wire fox terrier Ted, is on Apoquel to help alleviate the

Hello. My wire fox terrier Ted, is on Apoquel to help alleviate the awful itching he suffers from multiple allergies, which helps. However, he now has an outbreak of a rash, all over, which i believe to be a reaction to an antibiotic (course now ended). I was about to give him 1 x 10 mg Piriteze to help alleviate this new problem (I have used this previously despite it containing lactose). Is it safe to use in conjunction with Apoquel? (I raised the Apoquel dose to 2 tablets yesterday from the usual 1 (my vet said try this), but it has not helped his itching, and i assume it would not supress the rash anyway as an antihistamine might). Ted weighs 9 kg. Many thanks in advance for your advice!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the two can be used together. The only possible risk is that together they could make him a bit sedate, though often we don't see that. And I'd note that often do need to use other drugs (usually steroids) in conjunction with Apoquel for dogs that do not settle on that drug alone. So, a combination treatment could be the way forward for poor Ted.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your comprehnsive answer. That makes complete sense. He's been on & off steroids for years after a misdiagnosis of auto immune conditions, with all the unpleasant side effects, so I'm trying to avoid steroids wherever possible. Is 1 x 10 mg dose Piriteze per day correct? Thank you.