Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

What did my mastiff die after gall bladder surgery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why did his tummy swell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why has my dog died after gall stone surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is any one there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog has died after surgery I want to no why
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog has died after Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

My condolences for your loss of Brock. While it's impossible for my knowing how clinically ill and hemodynamically stable Brock was prior to, during and after surgery, I can tell you that his prognosis was fair if all choleliths (gall stones) were removed and a cholecystectomy (removal of the gall bladder) was performed. His prognosis was only guarded if cholelithiasis was associated with biliary leakage and aseptic (no infection present) bile peritonitis and it was poor if he suffered from septic (infection present) bile peritonitis as I expect was the case because you saw abdominal swelling.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was fine before hand I noticed on Thursday he couldn't pass water so got him to vet next day for opp to remove them .he apparantly had some kind of complication but I don't no wot yet as I can't see the vet until tomorrow.but he let him come home his tummy swelled really bad and he just wasn't rite all he did for 4 hours was heavily breathing and panning till he then I think had a heart attack I need answers wot went rong or possible complication I no one was stuck in his penis

I'm confused. You mentioned gall bladder/gall stone surgery but also inability to pass urine and a stone obstructing his urethra. Did you mean urinary bladder surgery, instead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
according to the recipe I have of the treat mentioned he had unirnary bladder cystotomy also urethra urethrotomy prescrotal

Thank you. I would be concerned about urinary bladder or urethral rupture due to trauma during surgery and if a stone were still obstructing his urethra, his bladder could have distended to the point of rupture. Even if the bladder didn't rupture, an obstructed urethra can cause back up of urine into his kidneys and kidney failure. Please discuss these possibilities with his surgeon. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you could he have been saved if he stayed at the surgery over nite .instead of me bringing home home

If there were an attendent at the surgery who monitored vital signs, yes, he might have been attended to in time to be life-saving.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's wot I thought .so more than likely it was probe by some rupture or leakage .would that be bad surgery or something that you can't detect

I regret that I can't know the answer to that question without performing a necropsy on Brock. He would need to be refrigerated (not frozen) until a necropsy could be performed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand I think u have anserd my questions as I kinda expected .even though I'm still confused I no u can only do ur best as u don't really no the real situation and I thank you for ur time

You're quite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok il be aware thanks again

Be well.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.