Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

MY HACAW IS LOOKING TERRIBLE I DONT KNOW IF HE IS MOULTING

MY HACAW IS LOOKING TERRIBLE I DONT KNOW IF HE IS MOULTING OR PLUCING FEATHERS OR HAS LICE DO I NEED A VET
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Yes, your macaw should see an avian vet. Please see here: theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets/ Ectoparasites such as mites and lice aren't commonly the cause of how he looks. Moulting, self-mutilation, and infections (bacterial, fungal, and viral such as the circovirus of psittacine beak and feather disease) need to be considered and tested for. The avian vet will need a history of when your macaw began looking as he does, what part of his body lost feathers initially, your macaw's diet, and whether or not you've seen him preening excessively.

I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to take a thorough history and perform a thorough physical exam on your macaw including blood and urine tests and cultures of feather follicles and specialized serological testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do iget a ureine sample from him and also im not sure when his beak and claws want clipping and that cant be good when he goes for feathers i have only had him for five weeks so i am just getting to know him

You don't. The avian vet collects droppings and urine from him, draws blood from a vein, a perhaps cultures a feather follicle. While he's at the vet, his beak and claws can be clipped for you. Because he's new to you, it's a good time to have him throughly examined even if he didn't look so scraggly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i only have a 6ft cage so how do i get him to the vets surgery

He'll need to be transferred into a carrying cage available in pet/agricultural merchant stores.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou so much i shall get organised and get him to a vets you have been so kind and helpfull so thank you for your time and all the advice given to me

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.