Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a big shubunkin hes got viral haemorrhage septicaemia

Customer Question

I have a big shubunkin hes got viral haemorrhage septicaemia poor fish is bleeding in fins and body ive tried anti internal bacteria from pet shop put it in yesterday but doesn't seem to working how long does it take to work hes had thos problem before but got better this time it seems worse is it best to take to vet to be pts how do they do that please regards Sharon
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I have to note that VHS is very uncommon in pet fish and in fact is notifiable in the UK when we see it farmed fish. Instead, Popye likely has a bacterial sepsis. In this case, if it is bacterial there treatment can help (where viruses won't respond to anti-bacterial medications) and usually needs to be tried for 7-10 days. Though if we don't see improvement over the first 48 hours, then the prognosis is guarded. Therefore, if you don't seem he improving at that point or her signs are quite severe then euthanasia by your local exotics vet (where they will use MS22 water based anaesthesia to knock her out before giving an injectable euthanasia solution) or at home using clove oil (More Info HERE) would be indicated.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi thankyou for replying im not quite sure about couple things you say I did put the med in big tank yesterday but as yet no improvement so ive now put popeye in a small tank with no more medicane I was going to take to vets later to be pts because poor thing he had it before too I am sending pics for you to see ans maybe tell me is that what is wrong with him ? regards ***** ***** you see picture
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
more pics
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
another
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please did you get my pictures he is now in a 14 litre tank should I try put the anti internal bacteria med in to see if it helps him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am currently with my own patients just now, but wanted to let you know that I have received your photos. The photos support a severe vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels) likely caused by a bacterial or viral blood borne infection. As I noted, they tend to need more than a single day of treatment to start to improve, especially with how severe this is here. Therefore, if he will eat, you can keep treating for the week. But if he is miserable and deteriorating, then PTS would be kindest for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thankyou so much for your reply your so kind ive decided I am going to try again with the medicane I so want him to live and if it fails again then I will take to the vets ..kindest regards ***** ***** popeye
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, Sharon.

Best wishes for Popeye,

Dr. B.