Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Myfive month old kitten has just eaten the stamen of a lily.

Customer Question

Myfive month old kitten has just eaten the stamen of a lily. What should i do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

All parts of lilies are toxic to our cats and even a small dose can cause kidney failure. Therefore you need to act quickly here. If he just had this, we'd want to induce vomiting now. To do so at home, you can use plain soda crystals. You just want to take a small handful, mix it with water to make a paste, roll that into a ball, and put this right in the back of the throat for him to swallow. This usually will trigger vomiting.. If it doesn't or you do not have soda crystals on hand, then you can have him seen urgently by your local ER vet so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Finally since lilies can be fatal in even small doses no matter which piece they eat, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find one local to you via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. And that way we can get this out of his stomach and have IV fluids started to try to protect his kidneys from harm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )