Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My westie has a wart type growth on her face, where we have

Hello, my westie has a wart type growth on her face, where we have eyebrows, is there anything I can put on it. She does not appear bothered by it. She does rub her face but has always done that. She is a lucky Westie in that she does not have the usual skin problems
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this "wart" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pic attached
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
has the pic come out

Thank you. Give me a moment to review it, please...

I'm having difficulty assessing its height. It appears to be flat and scabbed over but that appearance may be artifactual. I would shave around this skin lesion and scrub away any scab/discharge in order to better evaluate what it indicates. At that point, a topical medication might be prescribed but I suspect surgical excision would be necessary. At Betty's age, I have to be concerned about skin cancer.

I would appreciate additional photos with the hair wet down and away from this skin lesion that has been cleaned as mentioned above.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The Vet when e saw it years ago was not bothered about it. The groomer caught the top of it when she was clipping her hair, it bled and she put silver spray on it. I do not want to put her under any op procedure as she is so old and currently it is not causing her issue, I will get you another pic in a few minutes, will wet the area around it hang on.

Thank you! If it hasn't changed for years and she isn't bothered by it, I agree, just keep it clean. There's no need to medicate it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pic
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Better! This appears to be an ulcerated sebaceous gland tumor - nodular sebaceous hyperplasia, sebaceous epithelioma, or sebaceous adenoma. Erroneously called "warts", they're all benign and of cosmetic importance only. They don't respond to topicals. Just keep it clean. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank u very much for your time

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
appreciate yr time and it has put my mind at rest