Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat has recently been diagnosed with CKD however this has

Hi, my cat has recently been diagnosed with CKD however this has been done on the basis of a blood test completed after he went missing for 4 days and had lost weight and could well of had dehydration too. He has been vomitting for the last two years and still is. He is not drinking water excessively or urinating excessively which is why I'm confused. I am wondering if it could be IBS or IBD as I have read the symptoms which can be similar to CKD. Before he is sick he stomach makes gurgling and sloshing noises. He then drinks lots of water which I think he does to make himself sick
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if your vet diagnosed CKD when he was potentially dehydrated, that could be inaccurate. This is because dehydration can raise the kidney parameters (urea/creatinine). As well, if he wasn't getting food at that time, the urea could be falsely elevated by any bleeding stomach ulcers that may have been present. And an ulcer could cause nausea/vomiting too, so that may need to ruled out and/or addressed for Charm.

In this case, it'd be ideal to collect a urine sample (you can use an empty litter box in a carpetless room overnight to get a sample) and have the specific gravity (concentration) tested. This is usually how we diagnose early stage cases since urine dilution arises before blood changes (since the urine is the product of the kidneys) do. If the urine is abnormally dilute then early stage kidney issues would still be suspect. But if that is normal, then we'd assume that the changes on bloods were likely driven by dehydration and could be rechecked now that he is hydrated to confirm this if you wished to.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, so if there were high toxin levels in the blood this doesn't always mean CKD
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please is it possible to talk
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please is it also possible to confirm if it is true that a cat with CKD'S urine would tend to smell heavily of ammonia
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

As I am in the clinic just now, I cannot provide a phone call service. It does depend on how high those levels are but they can mean other issues like those I noted. Otherwise, I can say that it is not true that the urine would smell of ammonia. Kidney issues dilute the urine, so its watery and will have less odor.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help with this I think I will take him for a second opinion to a different vet. One final question before I provide your high rating if that's ok. I have purchased some slippery elm powder which I have read great things about in treating cats with gastro problems and also helps with nausea in CKD. Just wondering if you have heard about this at all please
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Now I do think a second local opinion is best but must say that you need to hold off on the Slippery Elm at this stage until you have confirmed there are no kidney issues and that he doesn't have a stomach ulcer. This is because Slippery Elm contains the precursor to Aspirin and this could worsen either if used when they are present (where it may be of benefit if IBD were definitively diagnosed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.