Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I think my rabbit may have started with worms. Since July

I think my rabbit may have started with worms. Since July she has been allowed out to free roam into the garden and eats both grass and plants. But for the last couple of weeks she has started getting very greedy and always seems to be begging for more food. She always has a constant supply of hay with extra veg etc. Do you think it could be worms?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

No, Claire, for two reasons. First of all, worms don't each much but more important, if my patient is heavily parasitized they don't feel well and become inappetent rather than hungrier. Pepper could still harbor worms, however. Pinworms are common but even relatively large numbers of pinworms are nonpathogenic. Tapeworms and flukes haven't been recognized to cause clinical disease in rabbits. Coccidia are the most common parasite of the rabbit's GI tract and can cause illness in young rabbits (less than 6 months of age). Coccidia shouldn't be a concern for Pepper at 4.5 years of age. In summary, we need to consider others causes of her greediness and that would entail a thorough physical exam by a rabbit vet which would include diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. In general, we don't pursue over-eating in any manner other than restricting food intake if obesity has arisen.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.