Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have 3 guinea pigs all fat and healthy. My female guinea

I have 3 guinea pigs all fat and healthy. My white female guinea pig is blind and the dominant one but in the last week I have noticed she is eating well ( a combination of fresh foods and pellets. Fresh each day) but she seems to be getting skinny, also I have needed to bath her due to being smelly around the bottom area stained fur.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you think she may be eating more fresh foods than pellets?

Are you seeing diarrhea from her?

Is she drinking more or passing more urine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does enjoy her grass and dandelions in particular but to be honest I have not noticed if she is eating her pellets. She is not drinking more than normal but she seems to be urinating and laying in it so becomes smelly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry her stools do seem to be soft but not runny. The other 2 have got the firm stools.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now if Pigums is losing weight, we need to tread with care.

When we have ongoing oral issues (ie dental disease, tooth overgrowth, etc), we can see them keep eating but lose when they start to selectively graze softer foods. So, that would be a concern if there is any chance she is reducing her pellet intake (since those have the most fat). As well, if her stools are softer then that too can be a means of losing protein and thus weight. And I would note that if she were eating more fresh and less pellet/hay, then that could cause those changes in stools.

Otherwise, if we have increased odor with that urine and she could be subtly uncomfortable, then I'd be concerned that she has an ongoing cystitis (potentially with bladder stones or urine crystal issues as well). This isn't likely the primary issue but this can easily arise secondary to changes in stool as the bacteria are more able to gain access to the vagina to cause infection.

With this all in mind, we'd want to consider a check up for Pigums when her vet is open. We'd want a urine sample checked and any infection treated. As well, we'd want a full physical exam and the vet to check her mouth to ensure that there isn't underlying dental issues setting this all off and leading to this weight loss for her.

Just to note in case you need a guinea pig keen vet, you can find one near you at http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html) or via the AEMV (at http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm) If you are struggling also check here the rabbit database (http://rabbit.org/vet-listings ), as rabbit vets often see our wee pocket pets as well. And while you are getting her seen, try offering veggie babyfood with her pellets crushed (+/- pumpkin for fiber and stool firming) into it to just get some more nutrients into her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )