Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 8 year old Westie who was diagnosed with hip dysplasia as

My 8 year old Westie who was diagnosed with hip dysplasia as a puppy, is showing signs of lameness (I'm assuming arthritis has now set in). She is on glucosamine and NSAIDs but after three weeks there has been no improvement. My question is should I exercise her or let her rest?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lass!

If she is not improving, then you can give her a few days of rest to see if any secondary muscle strain/sprain settles and her gait improves. Otherwise, for severe cases, we do sometimes need to try different NSAIDs (as some work better for some individuals, just as drugs do for people), add in an additional pain relief option (ie Gabapentin, Tramadol), or even skip to steroids (which are often used as a last option in severe cases). And in regards ***** ***** for them, we tend to just want to keep them on flat surfaces and only exercise them as much as they are comfortable doing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )