Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My son's husky has fleas we have tried a number of

Customer Question

My son's husky has fleas we have tried a number of preventions on him but with no affect could you please remomend something for us please have tried bob Martin and front line thank you Mrs ashworth
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh dear, I have to say that neither of those products are very good. Bob Martin used older chemicals that fleas have long been resistant to. As for Frontline, it was great in the first 5-10 years it was available but now we are seeing so much flea resistance to this .Therefore, you really need to use a better, more up to date option. In the pet store, that could be Advantage II or Activyl. Or you can pop Blue into his vet's for a quick weight and have them then dispense a better option like Advocate (it does worms, mites and lice too), Stronghold, Bravecto or Vectra 3-D.

As well, if you have had such an issue with fleas, you may also need to treat your house as well. Fleas can hop off our pets and actually notoriously lay eggs in the soft furnishing and carpets. So, all soft furnishings need to be washed and a house treatment with insect growth regulator (IGR) needs to be used. And I'd note that IGR is important in infestations because it will kill the eggs and larvae, not just the adult fleas. That way we are tackling all generations present and won't end up seeing a second wave of younger fleas after we rid the house and Blue of the adult ones.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.