Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat had a bladder constructed as a kitten and she is 8

Hi my cat had a bladder constructed as a kitten and she is 8 note but gets occasional urinary infections. Our vet keeps insisting she has cystophan twicee a day but I am concerned that when the infection clears up post antibiotics the triptophan in the cystophan keeps her bladder so relaxed that she remains partially incontinent e.g. when sleeping. She only has an infection once every 6-8 months now which is a huge improvement. Any ideas on a product without the relaxing part. Even cystaid now has a muscle relaxant. Can she take human glucosamine? I am going crazy with washing bedlinen due to little accidents. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Laura, can you clarify "bladder constructed" for me? Cystophan contains N-acetyl D-glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, L-tryptophan and an artificial chicken flavouring. The trytophan can't relax a bladder to the extent you've mentioned. It doesn't have that mechanism of action. Urinary incontinence is usually associated with urinary tract infection in the cat. Neurogenic incontinence - often due to injury to the spinal cord - does occur but that wouldn't be a consideration in a cat with no history of trauma. Congenital (present at birth) incontinence as seen with Manx or Manx-like cats is well-known.

To answer you directly, yes cats can take human glucosamine. There are feline products containing glucosamine as well. I don't believe that glucosamine is going to be the answer to her incontinence, however. We need to clarify if her incontinence is due to surgery performed as a kitten ("bladder constructed") and bacterial infections secondary to that surgery. If so, antibiotics may be necessary indefinitely - pulse therapy (treat for a week, off a week, treat for a week, etc.) might be considered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's a great response. She had her bladder constructed as a kitten as she literally just had the equivalent of a little leaky pipe. Her infections over the years have been managed carefully with antibiotics but I am seeing g a different vet recently at the practice and I don't think she's given the same strength of antibiotic. I am considering changing vets and will ask about the therapy suggested. It's good to know that the amount of tryptophan is not causing the problem. I will carry on with it. Thank you again. Laura

Thank you for the additional information, Laura. That's an very interesting history. She's very lucky to have had you.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will! Yep shes cost me thousands but her love is worth millions to me. Laura

I appreciate it! That's all that counts!

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.