Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a Cavalier who is 10 years old, he has in the last

Hi, I have a Cavalier King Charles who is 10 years old, he has in the last few months become very smelly, this is at the rear end. She is regularly groomed and has her glands squeezed, we clean her regularly at that end. Can you recommend anything to improve this situation. It is getting to a stage where we cannot have her in the house for long periods.
Sean
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Daisey, Sean. The first thing to do is to stop expressing her anal glands. This is done far too often as a matter of course and in most cases is not only unnecessary but aggravates and damages those anal sac glands thus encouraging even more odiferous exudate to be produced. Here is what I would do:

Empty the glands once more but follow up with flushing each gland with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine. This is done with a curved tip syringe and most dogs will allow this procedure without their being sedated. Once thoroughly flushed, another curved tip syringe filled with an antibiotic/antifungal/antiinflammatory ointment such as one we would use in the ears is then used to pack the glands with the ointment. This should address any infection/impaction that has precipitated the recurrent odor. Then leave the anal glands alone and see how this treatment works.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.