Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a caty which is 18 years old. For some time now she

Customer Question

Hi i have a caty which is 18 years old. For some time now she has been losing strenght in her back legs and although she could just about walk up and down stairs she has not been able to climb onto the chair. We are pretty sure she has diabetes due too her size thr amount of water she was drinking and coat condition but she has seemed quite relaxed sticking to a daily schedule of eating sleeping going out for 10 mins then climbing the stairs to sleep in the evening. Yesterday she deteriorated considerably although , she is having dificulty walking, and although still eating well seems to be in pain with one of her front paws. She is obviously not happy.
Given her age i am loath to have her suffer the trauma of a vistit to the vet and after some thought am thinking that it would be best to ring the vet and request that she is put to rest at home. I would appreciate your thoughts please.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been drinking more?

Is she passing more urine or watery urine?

Any weight loss or appetite loss?

Does her breath smell fruity (like pear drops)?

Do you think she is having more bad days then good?