Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat (2.5yr old British short hair neutered male) had an

Customer Question

Hi. My cat (2.5yr old British short hair neutered male) had an obstructed urethra and bladder stones.
Prior to the surgery my vet recommended hills science plan s/d food however Percy went downhill rapidly over the following 24hrs and ended up having emergency surgery and having all the stones removed.
I've just gone to my vet for a follow up where she recommended a different diet for Percy as a maintenance rlnow rather than a treatment. He hates the hills wet food so I asked if I could try royal canin instead. She said as the stones were removed its now a case of maintenance and to try the royal canin urinary food. I asked her which one and showed her urinary s/o online and she said it was the right one and also said it would be fine my other cat to gradually go over to that diet too.
Looking online in not sure she has told me the right thing as the urinary s/o says to use for 6-12 weeks to dissolve stones. They also make a urinary food which isn't a prescription diet which says it assists in keeping stones at bay etc and is good for all adult cats. I've got a feeling she meant I should use this one but would like some further advice.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

While I appreciate what you have noted from the Royal Canin website, we do use the S/O long term for cats that have had urinary issues without any bother. As well, we can safely use it long term in clinically normal cats as well. And given how your lad was so severely affected and the life threatening risk urinary crystals can play in blockages as well as in the formation of stones I'd use the Royal Canin S/O for him long term without hesitation. You don't need to use the S/O high dilution formulation but as a high risk I'd not suggest risking him with a mild alternative like the urinary support one.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great I was just concerned about getting the wrong one and causing more damage. So the s/o won't cause any issue to my healthy cat? (also a BSH 4 yrs old)I can't always watch them eat after all!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

No worries, its always good to double check.

And it can be tricky to feed two cats different diets, so we often will put both on the urinary diet and don't tend to have any issues for the non-urinary cat.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.