Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My hamster has mites I've treated him for 8 weeks, I clean

My hamster has mites I've treated him for 8 weeks, I clean the cage weekly and have treated the house. I've taken him off sore dust/wood chips and he is now on carefresh confetti. He doesn't seem overly bothered by then but his skin is sore in places but no hair loss he is eating and drinking fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What treatment have you been using?

Is he still itching or grooming excessively?

What do you feed?

Where on his body are the sores?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've been using a flea/mite spot on treatment from pets at home.
I feed him hamster muesli from pets at home and he has fresh fruit/veg most days.
He is still itching but not excessively grooming the red patches on his skin are mostly near he rear legs and bottom
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

What is the active ingredient in the treatment?

How often are you applying it?

Can you confirm no changes to his stools or urine passage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ivermectin 25ug,
I first treated him about 6weeks ago and then again 2 weeks ago.
No change in his urine or stools
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Now I am glad to see that you are using ivermectin. Though I think the issue is how often you are using it. When we have mites, we need to treat twice 2 weeks apart to rid them of the adult mites and the the newly hatched next generation (since they are resistant before hatching). Otherwise we can see persisting signs as the young star to get old enough to feed on him. So, if it has been 2 weeks since you last treated Elmo, we'd want to do so again now.
Best wishes,
Dr. B

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you I'll treat him again tonight thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B