Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

I have a pomeranian 8 months old dog. She was perfectly fine

Customer Question

Hi. I have a pomeranian 8 months old dog. She was perfectly fine until 4 hours ago she started whining for no reason. When I was picking her up, when sleeping she would wake up whining out of nowhere. She looks also very low. What can it be as I've checked her over and nothing's hurting. Please let me know what you think as it'S late and I want to know if it's something that I should worry about. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi Misha,

How is Ivy now - is she still whining? Has she been spayed as yet? Is she eating and drinking as per normal?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she is fine. She was actually absolutely fine until 4/5 hours ago. She was eating well. All ok other than the fact that she sleeps and looks low, not like herself at all. Lets Say about Every 40/50 min she would wake up whining like something would hurt her. Also this happens sometimes when I'm trying to pick her up. I Really Don't know what else to Say....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please tell me what can it be. Thank you.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. As you can probably appreciate, while she is obviously sore at the moment, it is difficult to say what could be causing this pain and behavior without a full physical exam. This could be due to anything from a musculoskeletal problem, to an internal organ issue, or related to her first season (if she isn't spayed). Hopefully there isn't anything she could have gotten into around your home or yard? Whatever the case, you are definitely going to need to continue to keep a close eye on her for another couple of hours yet. If she starts whining again, or if she won't drink water, than you are best to get her seen straight away by your local ER vet.

For now, please keep an eye on Ivy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Ivy. As above, there are quite a number of possible causes for her whining, but it is most likely due to pain. Having a full vet physical exam tonight if she doesn't improve, or otherwise tomorrow morning, will be very important. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Are you still there? Hopefully Ivy's mucus membranes and refill time were all normal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She had her period about 3 Weeks ago. She was also in heats. She is not spayed. Breathing ok, mucus fine and capillary refill time also ok.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Great to hear all is ok. We even need to consider a pyometra (womb infection) then given she isn't spayed and has recently had a season. Continue to keep a close eye on her and if she deteriorates at all, please be sure to get her seen tonight.

All the best,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need any further assistance tonight.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Ivy today? Did you get her along to your local vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E