Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Can I give my guniea pig an epsom salt soak to help with

Customer Question

Can I give my guniea pig an epsom salt soak to help with edema?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Guinea pig with adema under chin and abdomen. On diurtics. Eatin, drinking, peeing, pooping and seems in ok health aside from lethargy from carrying around the water wieght
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.In regards ***** ***** question, while Epsom salt soaks help reduce inflammation or fluid build up in limbs it would not be of much benefit here. So we'd not want to soak your wee one. Instead it would be better to warm compress the areas to encourage the body to resorb the fluid. Otherwise, if the diuretics are not settling this, Wes need to speak to her vet about alternative ones or discuss is this fluid build up is from a low blood protein sources ( as that tends to need a different approach to treat).
Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)