Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I am a small holder I recently treated my free range hens

Customer Question

Hi I am a small holder I recently treated my free range hens with one drop or two (depending on size of bird) under there wing with ivermectin . To treat mite infestation.
My question is this we are looking after a friends lab puppy and it seems very suddenly very ill not eating and very sleepy I am worried it may have eaten some chicken poop treat with ivermectin could this be the reason for drossiness.
Regards Rob
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks

That's an interesting idea but very difficult to confirm. Each drop of 1% ivermectin contains between 0.5 - 1 mg of ivermectin. I might dose ivermectin as high as 0.6 mg/kg to a pup. A 30 kg pup would then receive 18 mg. Depending upon the number of chickens you treated and how much poop he could have ingested there's a possibility - if not very high - that he could have intoxicated himself with ivermectin. Signs of toxicosis arise within 4-12 hours of exposure and may include depression, disorientation, vocalization, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), tremors, vomiting, anorexia, recumbency, blindness, coma, seizure, and death.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks for that the pup would have only ingested a very small amount of chicken poop one or two droppings at most, it also ate some horse hoof after the farrier had finished and vomited up hoof several hours later could that make the dog sick.
Thanks for your swift response.Regards Rob

You nailed it, Rob. A dietary indiscretion rather than ivermectin toxicity should be considered. I would fast the pup for 12 hours but leave water down unless drinking induces more vomiting at which time you should replace his water with ice cubes for him to lick. There's no reason to alter his diet when you offer him food once again.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.