Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice
21779527

My dog has cushings disease he also has unstable diabetes he

Customer Question

My dog has cushings disease he also has unstable diabetes he is in canisulin twice daily but his blood sugars are still elevated my vet wants to do regular glucose curves which cost £200 a time, my dog gets very stressed out each time he goes in so not really sure the readings are accurate how often should he need a glucose curve done and if he is not sense rive to caninsulin is there a different insulin which would work better
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

The canisulin is one of the best so I would stick with it. Some dogs just need a high dose and the dose you are on now sounds like only a medium dose for a lab. We define insulin resistance as a dose of 1unit per pound.. so for a 50 pound dog, you could go all the way to 50U twice a day before you completely give up on it.

What is probably going on in your case is that the cushing disease is causing insulin resistance. Is his cushings treated and well controlled? Dogs with uncontrolled cushings have too much cortisol in their system and that can make them resistant to the insulin so you keep raising the dose and doing glucose curves, but you don't really get any where.

If it isn't already controlled, you should focus on treating and controlling the cushings.... then the diabetes will likely come into control also.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.