Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have appox 50 birds and for the last few months I have

Customer Question

I have appox 50 birds and for the last few months I have been losing one or two thinking it was just old birds .
Now these birds are free range with 3 acres of land .
All my other bantem birds are in arcs and are never loose.
Just recently I have lost around 10 birds from the one that are free range and 3 were young cock birds .
So I have penned all birds up now hoping to control this problem.
They go off there food and combs go a purple colour before wandering into a quiet place to Die .
The field I am using has recently beem sprayed for Japanese knott weed.
Could this be the problem??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you will certainly want to check what has been sprayed on that pasture since their comb discoloration suggests circulatory congestion and compromise. Toxins would be high on the list for that and the fact we have multiple otherwise vague deterioration with these birds (where viral, bacterial and parasitic would be as well but more likely to give us more clinical signs and clues). Otherwise, if you do have a freshly deceased bird, it would be advisable to submit it to your local vet, vet lab, or vet school for a post mortem. That way we can get a pathologist to examine the body grossly and microscopically (+/- testing for infectious agents or toxins) and determine the root cause for death. And once confirmed, we can appreciate if removal from the pasture is all that is needed or whether further treatment to protect the flock is indicated.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )