Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has been sick with Byle all day we spoke to our vets

Customer Question

My dog has been sick with Byle all day we spoke to our vets who said to starve him and maybe give him some fresh cooked chicken which he wasn't interested in he is being sick every hour n half or so and drinking very little water
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Chester.

Since he's a lab, I might worry that he ate something he shouldn't have (dietary indiscretion) or possibly that he has an obstruction but for now, I do have a few suggestions which may help.

1. I'd give him over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day which may help with his nausea. The dose for a 60-70 lb dog would be 1.5 tablets of the 10 mg size pills.

2. I'm not sure how long you withheld food but I typically suggest around 24 hours. For a dog this age, I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating for this length of time if he was otherwise in good health prior to this episode.

3. I would only offer him small amounts of fluid at one time since to do otherwise may trigger more vomiting. Pedialyte is an excellent option in this situation since it can help to replace electrolytes lost in the vomit,

4. If things seem to have settled down, then I'd offer him only a very small portion of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast but only a small amount.

If he continues to vomit this frequently, then an ER visit may be prudent since he's going to become dehydrated. It won't be easy to keep up with his fluid requirements which tend to be 1 ounce per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period.

I hope this helps. Deb