Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My four month old puppy swallowed a pork rib bone about

Customer Question

My four month old puppy swallowed a pork rib bone about three hours ago (swallowed it whole) luckily she hasn't choked or wretched and seems fine in herself at the moment but I am worried still
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Koda. As you can imagine, this sort of thing happens fairly frequently despite our best efforts to prevent it.

Dogs eat bones of all sorts all the time; the stomach acid can help soften them and in most cases, if not a huge amount was eaten, then they will pass through the stomach and intestines with no problem. They might cause a little damage as they are passing through which might result in looser stools for a day or so but this quickly resolves.

I don't induce vomiting in these patients since the bones cause damage to the esophagus or become lodged there coming back up which would mean the dogs are in greater trouble. We hope that they will pass....which they do in the majority of cases.

What you can do to help move things along would be to increase the fiber in her diet by adding canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix). You can give 1 tsp twice a day.
You could also give raw bran flakes such as wheat bran at a dose of 1/2 tsp daily or even a slice or two of whole wheat bread. Walk her around and play with her more which can also help to increase transit time.

Monitor the stools for evidence of the bone; transit time is usually about 24-36 hours in most cases to give you an idea of what to expect.

Other signs to monitor on the off chance that the bone has caused an obstruction will be vomiting, lethargy, disinterest in food and/or abdominal pain. Should any of these signs develop over the next day or so, then a vet visit would be prudent.

I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Koda. How are things going with him? Deb