Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cockerpoo 14 week puppy ate 2 raisins 2 hours ago

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, just two raisins is well below any toxic level for dogs, Elvis should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take.

2. I say this because although raisins are in fact a significant toxin to dogs the lowest documented toxic raisin dose in the dog I can find is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight. Lets estimate your pup's weight as 2 Kg { It may well be more } . Given that there are there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce you would then not be worried until a 2 Kg pup ate more than 5 raisins.

But in my experience most dogs that suffer raisin related problems have eaten much larger amounts of them than the figures I quote above.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers this toxicity in dogs in more detail : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Elvis's if condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.