Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Today I saw lots of little bits in my 20-week-old puppies

Customer Question

Today I saw lots of white little bits in my 20-week-old puppies stools. I called the vet and they said to come in and get a drontal tablet for tapeworm. When I asked why he hadn't been given this before/vaccinated they said they don't give this until 6 months, he has just been having the spot on Advocate. Anyway, I gave him the tablet. But now, he's just been sick everywhere. I can see worms in his sick and I'm worried he's sicked up the tablet. What should I do?
Also, I have two young children and I'm very worried about us all getting it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Do the worms in the vomit look like rice or spaghetti?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They looked like long flat spaghetti. I think tapeworm. In the poo they were like thin tic-tacks x

Hello again, it has been a day since your last post. Can you give me an update on how your puppy is doing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has had diarrhoea all day but haven't seen any more worms. He seems fine in himself. I am worried about the children contracting it... is this common?

Friend, as long as the children do not have contact with the feces they will be okay. Touching or playing with the puppy is safe. It sounds like your puppy has both Tapeworms and Roundworms. Drontal will treat both, Tapeworms and Roundworms. If he vomited the medication I would phone your vet to get another prescription and repeat it again. For the diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi thank you,
Why do you think he has roundworm as well? X

The spaghetti like worms are roundworms.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Even if they're flat? Euek x

If they are flat rice like those are Tapeworms. Spaghetti like are roundworms.