Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My Frenchie is just gone 4 weeks pregnant but has bled the

Customer Question

Hi my Frenchie is just gone 4 weeks pregnant but has bled the whole time, she is showing all signs of pregnancy and due a scan on Saturday but I am worried about the bleeding
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: French bulldog
Assistant: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the French bulldog?
Customer: No she seems fine other than that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Although of concern, it's important to note that her bleeding can still represent normal physiology in a pregnant dog. Proestrus - the initial stage of the estrus cycle and the stage in which bleeding is first seen can last up to 17 days; estrus - the next stage in which bleeding can persist and when she should stand for the male can last up to 21 days. You can see, then, that bleeding could potentially continue for up to 38 days (5+ weeks) and be considered normal. Pregnancy doesn't stop the natural progression of the estrus cycle. (This is not the case in cats.) The only difference will be that a dog would be pregnant under the influence of progesterone rather than falsely pregnant (pseudopregnant/pseudocyesis) under the influence of progesterone as all unbred dogs become following their estrus cycle.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.