Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

For the last four days noticed blood spots in a morning

Customer Question

For the last four days noticed blood spots in a morning coming from my dogs pens. This has increased though only happens in a morning and is fresh blood. Dog is a Labrador 15months old.
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chip
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chip?
Customer: No other conditions is in good health and active
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Acute pancreatitis is the most common cause of those spots in an intact (not neutered) male dog. Chip's vet will want to rectally and abdominally palpate Chip's prostate gland and if found to be painful and/or irregularly shaped will make the call for prostatitis. Castration and an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland such as enrofloxacin or trimethoprim-sulfa dosed for two weeks will be recommended. Antibiotics alone can resolve an acute prostatitis but therapy needs to be extended for a total of 4-6 weeks and relapses are common if castration isn't performed.

Other causes of the blood spots include trauma to the urinary tract and calculi (stones). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.