Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My shar pei is 60 days pregnant and today she went in her

Customer Question

Hello my shar pei is 60 days pregnant and today she went in her welping her breathing got deeper and has been in all day out for toilet then at 10.30 pm last night I noticed a distarge like green brown colour and she liked up and was panting and sitting funny and thought she was going into labour but she's up and about is this normal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's not due till Monday and the distarge was like small palm full over some time and smelt but she fine in her self shortly after she licked it up she stated heavy panting and now she's breathing deep but up and about and wants to go out I'm not sure if I should be worried
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. This is what you need ot know at this time:

Dystocia (difficult birth) is occurring if any of the following are present. Your Shar Pei should be attended to by a vet if there is:

1) Obvious malpresentation of a pup

2) First stage labor (panting, restlessness, inappetence, vomiting) for more than 12 hours

3) Second stage labor (active contractions) with weak and intermittent contractions for more than 4 hours before birth of the first pup

4) Second stage labor with weak and intermittent contractions for more than 2 hours between pups

5) Second stage labor with hard or continuous contractions for more than 30 minutes before the birth of the first pup or between pups

6) Green, black, or red vulvar discharge before the birth of the first pup

7) Purulent (pusy) or frankly hemorrhagic vulvar discharge

8) A history of decline in rectal temperature more than 24 hours ago

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

9) Clinical evidence of systemic illness in ****

10) A history suggesting high risk pregnancy (previous pelvic trauma or dystocia)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello doctorThank you for reply , I have taken her to vets about distarge she had small amount wasn't having contractions at all and is on her 60th day they have done X-rays on her and said she has 3 puppy's and there heart rates heads and everything was fine and was worried as they said she was on stage two labour and should be pushing it don't make sense as all they then wanted to give her a c section there and then and I said no as w truth get was fine I would like to wait out stages and keep an eye on her they then insisted on inducing her 3 times every half hr and said on the last one of pups wasn't here would be a c section I said I wanted to bring Mg her home to somewhere peacfull where she could rest as had put two drips in her shaved her and one of the drips wasn't needed I've since been home two hrs and her contractions have started for the last hr and she keeps changing laying on her sides had drink and heavy panting the vet now tells me he's not worried and keep them updated 6 hrs later can't help but think she should have just been left and no mention of what the distarge was at all , could you tell since contractions have started ruff how long to the first pup and what would be a worry time
Thank you Anthony

Thank you for the update, Anthony. I agree that it sounds as if nature is taking its course and she's going to deliver very soon. We want to see the first pup delivered within 4 hours of the onset of second state labor. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you , she's laying flat on side heavy panting but having contractions still with push every time is it normal for her to be laying on her Side and pushing ? She's been having contractions 2 hrs and 15min and contractions seem to be steady would this be second state labour ? Amd if she hasn't had the first pup in the 4 hrs would that be c section ? Thank you again just been to vets 3 times now amd if poss wouldn't want mum to be to have to go through c section of can help it , would running her back help with contractions as she likes me beside her Anthony

Yes, that's normal second stage labor behavior. Yes, if 4 hours pass at this stage without delivering a pup she might be induced first and if that didn't work, a C-section is performed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you she has been induced with 3 injections with oxtocin 0.6 of 3 enjections starting at 9.30am then 10am then 10.30 am they then wanted to give her a c section there and then as she wasn't contraction or pushing on the last enjection but I chooses to bring her home for peace and to have rest she was just left on the floor and vet said keep and imeye on her and update to which contractions started at 12.30 two hrs after last enjection and been in her whelping box since we got home had drink and two wees thenstright back in box they said they couldn't give her anything else it would be a c section so deeply confused by all they have said

Because she's farther along in her labor she can be induced once again before resorting to a C-section. The decision to induce must be left up to her attending vet as that vet is better apprised about your dog's overall condition than I. For example, she may be exhausted at this time and unable to deliver even if induced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you I will keep you posted at around 4.30 if we have first pup I pray we do you've been a great help all round
She's my world and wasntba planned pregnancy with my friends shar pei who was 8 months old would was a supprise could be possible altogether but have to make goodnof the situation she seems to be sleeping but still panting and pushing every now and then

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fist puppy has been born lifeless I'm heart broken mum is frantic trying to bring him to life
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure what o must do

You're necessarily restricted to rubbing him vigorously and rocking his body (head down, head up) back and forth. It's not unusual to lose 20% of a litter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried all mum keeps liking him constant will this stop her giving birth to the others ? As she constant licking him gosh heartbreaking

No, her labor should continue. I understand how difficult this is for you to see.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh please god the rest are ok it's so upsetting she's such a good mum and he was perfect , shall I leave him there till the rest come them take him away ?thbak you

As soon as she stops attending to him, please remove him from her whelping area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you I removed him now she's very very heaving petting so she hasn't taken much notice thank god just said we have all crossed for the rest now do you know how long it would take for the next puppy it's been I hr 45 min since first

I don't but if not within 4 hours of the last, consider a C-section.