Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I've found what I think is flea dirt on my cat. She is

Customer Question

I've found what I think is flea dirt on my cat. She is allergic to all spot on treatments and nearly hung herself last time I used a breakaway collar. What can I do? I've got a prescription for an injection that is ok but it doesn't work fast it's called program. My vet won't supply it as I would have to buy a box of ten at a cost of £600!!!
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. How old is program?
Customer: I would have to buy it new but can't afford 10, also they would be expired before I used them all
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about program?
Customer: No. I need an idea for an alternative that works straight away.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if you have a prescription for Program, you can use a online pharmacy and they usually will sell just one if needed. Though generally speaking they tend to carry the oral/sachet versions which should still be fine for her. Otherwise, you could consider trying an alternative oral option like Capstar which would work straight away. Finally, if she is that sensitive, you could also see about using Frontline spray (its safe for kittens as young as 2 days old). This too is something your vet would carry or the online pharmacies as well. Therefore, those would be our best options for her here.

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**