Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

I have a 'rescued cocker spaniel who apparently is 7 years

I have a 'rescued cocker spaniel who apparently is 7 years old who in the past had lung worm, which was treated . I am concerned that my beloved golden retrievers could be at risk in some way. Please help me as have only learned this yesterday
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the cocker spaniel can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cocker spaniel?
Customer: I have been told his size (he is quite small, weight 10 kgs but not overly thin) has been affected. He is lively with no apparent illness.
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. How long ago did the Cocker Spaniel have lungworm/treatment?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we believe about 4 yrs ago but the original owner has died and her daughter took the dog on reluctantly it seems and the person from the animal rescue set up did not really now. But it seems t have been some years ago
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no stay on line
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

If it was that long ago and he does not have a chronic cough, I would not worry about it. If there are no symptoms you can assume he was treated and not worry. However, they should both be on once monthly Heartworm Prevention and have their yearly exams done to maintain their health. It is so nice of you to give him a home! All but one of my pets is a rescue. Have I answered your questions/concerns?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what mediation would be your choice
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you still there ?/
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

I am still here. Usually the choice is Fenbndazole for lungworm. My choice for monthly heartworm prevention is Interceptor or Heartgard.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there a difference between heart worm and lung worm or does it change to heart worm if travels to the heart
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
could you call me on my landline 01223 843265
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

I cannot. Just Answer is not set up for International Calls. Are you in the UK?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
in cambridge uk
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

I was trying to upload a link but there continues to be an error. Look up Lungworm in dogs in the uk-vets now referrals

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

I have to start morning appointments, I will check back soon.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you call me back on my email***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my responses are monitored on this site, so I would prefer to stay here if you are able.