Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Back again. Our 13.5 week Siamese x Abyssinian Bella, female

Back again. Our 13.5 week Siamese x Abyssin***** *****a, female has had a sneeze since we got her, along with her brother Charlie who's sneeze has nearly gone. We were told by the vet it probably is a Nora/ Norvo virus and just leave them to build up their immune system. Bella is now in the last hour started sneezing up blood be it dilute red. Can she wait till tomorrow to see the vet.
They are eating a tin of Tuna at the moment.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. Yes, she can wait until tomorrow. In most cases, sneezing and/or ocular discharge represent infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) - not norovirus, the winter vomiting bug in the UK - in cats which usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma can be found concomitantly with FHV-1 or be sole infectious agents. These, too, are expected to go into remission unaided but if my patient doesn't show a positive change within 7-10 days of the onset of symptoms, I'll consider prescribing doxycycline - the antibiotic of choice for addressing those bacteria. It’s not unreasonable to also initiate therapy with the over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment should conjunctivitis arise dosed at thrice daily to each eye for a minimum of 10 days. This ointment contains the antibiotics oxytetracycline and polymyxin-B and can be found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674 It’s ideal for addressing the bacterial infections. FHV-1, however, doesn't respond to antibiotics. Severe FHV-1 infections might be addressed with the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir and an ophthalmic antiviral drop or ointment containing cidofovir. These products need to be compounded by a veterinary formulating pharmacy. Cats who become inappetent will benefit from the administration of supplemental fluids and electrolytes given subcutaneously by needle and perhaps a syringeable and palatable convalescent food.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.