Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a three year old boxer/staffie cross. For the past

I have a three year old boxer/staffie cross. For the past week her left jowl has been very red and swollen. It doesn`t seem to bother her. She is still her usual self and is eating fine. It now seems to have developed a scab though and doesn`t seem to be clearing up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I suspect that you're describing a lip fold pyoderma - a superficial bacterial infection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am trying to upload a photo.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Yes, this appears to be a severe lip fold pyoderma. This is how it can be addressed:

1) Cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12-72 hours work very well.

2) Alternatively, routine topical therapy can be used to control the skin problem. The affected area should be cleaned every 1-3 days as needed with an antibacterial shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide, or ethyl lactate. These shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, online, or at Hattie's vet hospital.

3) Topical application of an antibiotic ointment, solution, or spray every 24 hours for the first 5-7 days of therapy may be helpful. The safe prescription mupirocin ointment is available through Hattie's vet and should be considered.

4) Surgical excision of excess skin folds is usually curative. The prognosis is good but lifelong topical maintenance therapy may be needed if surgical correction isn't performed.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.