Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 15 year old Maltese Terrier has just had her third

Customer Question

My 15 year old Maltese Terrier has just had her third "fit"or TIA. She is now walking around in circles bumping into things. How can I help her settle down?Thank you, Annie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How often is she having these?

Is she on any treatment?

Is she circling in one direction?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has these "fits"or mini strokes sporadically as opposed to regularly. We have been advised she needs no medication. Her circling has now stopped and she has had a good nights sleep. She now walks with an inabilily to walk straight ahead and sometimes bumps into things. Her gums are pink and moist. She releases a lot of foam during her episodes. Not likely to have eaten anything harmful.Thank you Dr B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again Annie,

Now I do appreciate that Soda's fits have been sporadic but if you see more than one per 6 months, then medication would be indicated. At the very least, we'd want her vet to be dispensing rectal Diazepam for you to control these when they happen (since the longer she fits the more risk of brain damage, swelling and blindness) or to consider an anti-inflammatory to reduce any brain swelling associated with this or the underlying cause. And those would be our ideals here for calming her afterwards as well. Which with regards ***** ***** latter, to see this at her age does raise concerns of brain lesions (bleeds from high blood pressure, swellings, infections, tumors) or have underlying organ issues (ie liver, kidney, heart). So, it is worth having those checked for, since treatment or at least management of the underlying cause usually will reduce these. And if we do that then we'd hope to have her suffer less of these episodes.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**